{The List} Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    Just a comment about the Appian Way - that's from CtP, there could be copyright issues.
    The Apian Way was a famous part of the Roman Empire's road system, and I don't believe you can copyright 2000-year-old historical names.

Comment

There's a reason CtP included only two wonders that were also in Civilization - the Pyramids and the Great Wall.

Comment

Civ has copyrightable names, like Smith's Trading Company and Newton's University, but things like the Eiffel Tower, Sistine Chapel, and Statue of Liberty are genuinely historical and unless the originals have copyright protection, they're usable by all. Civ can't grab copyright for those names any more than CtP can.

Comment

Nevermind- I was just referencing the threads you listed in your related threads list- sorry for the vagueness
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by La Diva
            Civ has copyrightable names, like Smith's Trading Company and Newton's University, but things like the Eiffel Tower, Sistine Chapel, and Statue of Liberty are genuinely historical and unless the originals have copyright protection, they're usable by all. Civ can't grab copyright for those names any more than CtP can.
            If Civ includes enough, similar wonders to CtP, it sure can be sued for copyright violation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              If Civ includes enough, similar wonders to CtP, it sure can be sued for copyright violation.
              If that's true, it would still depend on who could prove first use.

Comment

CtP.

As I said, there IS a reason CtP had only two wonders the same as civ - and THOSE were the Pyramids and the Great Wall.

Comment

I don't understand the significance of those two "shared" Wonders. Will you please enlighten me?

I thought Civ was created before CtP.

Comment

I don't understand the significance of those two "shared" Wonders. Will you please enlighten me?

Because those are indisputably "wonders of the world" - there's no question of them copying content or anything. Whereas, if they'd included, say, the Hoover Dam, well, that's a bit iffy.

I thought Civ was created before CtP.

It was, that's the point - CtP couldn't take material from civ, and likewise civ can't take material from CtP. Heck, all of the units in CtP had different names.

Comment

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=117222 is another thread I was thinking about, though
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

MINOR LEADERS AND MONUMENTS: "REMEMBER ME"

Every once in a while, a city would generate a great leader, artist, or scholar.

For a few turns, he or she would provide a bonus. The bonus could be lightbulbs, better morale, reduced corruption, or the like.

When the leader dies, the player would get a chance to build a monument or academy. By celebrating the person, or carrying on his teachings, the city would get to keep a bit of the bonus. The monument would also be worth a culture point or two.

Comment

Safe Ocean Crossing

Have a wonder early in the game that builds a unique special ship that can make some sort of sea voyage with 100% safety that you would otherwise not be able to make at that time. It could be a certain number of squares across the deepest type of water terrain, or maybe it could be unlimited. The ship would sink immediately upon unloading its units, especially if the voyage is unlimited. You might use this wonder to make contact with a remote civ, or to establish a remote city. Maybe this city would automatically enjoy the effects of a forbidden palace? Or maybe it would create a new civ not under your control but could have some definite benefit to you? Maybe it would automatically rejoin you when you rediscover it? Maybe you would simply benefit from knowing the location of a distant landmass and know where to send a more normal ship? Maybe instead of directing the ship yourself, it would automatically reach the most remote location on the map?

Comment

The Supreme Court

I had this idea for a wonder when I was gripin' about the problems corruption poses:

Supreme Court Wonder - Eliminates (or drastically reduces) corruption in all cities on the same continent.

I thought it might make an interesting late-game Wonder.

thoughts?

(Undoubedtly, some will call it unbalancing, but hey that's what wonders are all about! Getting an advantage!)

Mike
                            Last edited by mikepalomino; October 22, 2004, 17:13.

Comment

That would definitely be too unbalancing, even for a wonder. Maybe make it a small wonder, and don't have it eliminate corruption altogether.
                              "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                              -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

You mean something like Forbidden Palace?
                                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                                2004 Presidential Candidate
                                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                                X